Wednesday, December 23, 2009

the countdown to leaving...

I am leaving Austin in 10 days...

It is a crazy thing to think about. People keep asking me if I am ready to go - and I say no. I think I will be ready when I leave. But right now, I still have to pack for one thing, and there are still some things I know the Lord has planned for me here the next 10 days. I am not sure exactly what that is, but I look forward to seeing what God has planned - times to be spent with family and friends and hopefully some great conversations. Each day is one I need to cherish and seek God for how He wants to make Himself known that day and how He wants to use me, grow me and teach me more about Himself. Even in the past few days I am learning more, but it is an awkward time for me...just a mix of emotions.

Thankfully, the next ten days will be filled with fun times celebrating the holidays and enjoying my family and friends. I hope I also stop and take time to enjoy Christ in the midst of all of that. I am learning to grow in more intimacy with Christ. He is the only one who is always with me, and there is no greater intimacy I can find than with a God who created me and knows more about me than I know myself.

One truth that I find peace in as I leave is Deuteronomy 31:8 - "The LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." To know that God Himself goes before me and will be with me and never leave calms the deepest fears in my heart as I rest in that truth. The whole idea that the Lord is with us - Emmanuel - amazes me. I have loved church the past few Sundays as we have talked about Christ coming to us to reveal the glory of God. So often other religions - and I find myself doing this too - strive so hard to get to God. The story of Christ is God striving to reach us. Thats an overwhelming truth that displays how much God loves us and wants to be with us. A perfect, holy, righteous and all powerful God wants me and you, not because He needs us, but simply because He delights in us and wants us to share in everything good He is. 

So at Christmas time we celebrate Jesus coming to the world to be born as a little baby, who would grow up to be a man and the Savior of the world - that we may know and believe that we are deeply loved. I pray that you all have a blessed Christmas with friends and family, and are drawn closer to the heart of the Lord during this time. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment